The secret to setting your lipstick isn’t really a secret. It’s a combination of prep, application, and product choices. Check out these tips for a long-lasting lip.
1. To ensure your lipstick lasts, you’ll want to ensure there are no flakes of dead skin renting out space on your pout. Use a lip scrub like e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator or Bliss Fabulips to exfoliate those little dudes away.
2. Next, apply a hydrating, non-oily lip balm. Anything with a waxy consistency is preferred over a slippery texture that will cause color to slide right off. I love Sephora’s Super Nourishing Lip Balm.
3. Pat a little foundation or concealer over lips. Don’t entirely erase your mouth, but cancel out your lip’s natural pink so that your lip color’s true hue comes through. This also gives it a little something extra to adhere to. If you have a dark skin tone, this also helps enhance the lipstick’s true color.
4. If you’re wearing a bold lip color, outlining the outer edge of your lip line with concealer or the NYX Wonder Pencil will create a barrier to prevent bleeding. It’s basically like installing a fence for your lipstick! Outline and tap softly with your finger to blend.
Now continue with the lip liner…
5. Now, take a lip liner and outline the lips, as well as fill them in. The lip pencil is drier than lipstick and serves as a layer of color for the lipstick to grab onto. I am using NYX Slim Lip Pencil in Rose.
6. Begin applying your color selectively, instead of just swiping across the whole lip. This makes for even, controlled application. I am using the Bite Beauty High Pigment Lip Pencil in Quince. I’ve had particularly good luck with this product’s staying power and the pigmentation is just beautiful.
7. Fill in the rest of your lips.
8. Take a tissue and separate it into two halves. Place one sheet on your lips and dust a translucent powder like Make Up For Ever HD Powder over the lips, through the tissue. This is a trick you’ll see makeup artists doing backstage at fashion shows. Now you won’t worry that it’s some model torture treatment. This sets the color, without depositing a layer of powder.
9. Lightly apply a bit more lipstick on top. Now smile. Your lip color is ready to go the distance!